Pastor Stanton began serving CUMC in July 2017.
A little about Pastor Stanton & his family……….
· I was born and raised in Lead, South Dakota in the Black Hills (just 20 miles from Mt. Rushmore). After high school, I attended Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, SD graduating in 1994 with a triple major in: (1) English w/an emphasis in Journalism, (2) Speech Communications, and (3) Religion/Philosophy. I later returned to Dakota Wesleyan to serve as an Adjunct Professor of Religion/Philosophy.
· Following college, I attended the Candler School of Theology, Emory University in Atlanta, GA. I graduated with a Master’s of Divinity degree in the 1997.
· I have been privileged to serve churches in Georgia, North Dakota, South Dakota, Illinois and Wisconsin.
· Some of the skills/gifts that I bring for ministry include a passion to share the word of God (through sermons, bible studies, retreats). I view preaching as a time to focus on God’s message for us. Sometimes my sermons are humorous, sometimes serious but a unifying theme is “how does this relate to us in this time and this place?”
· I have an ecumenical spirit while at the same time am passionate about the United Methodist Church.
· In 2000 I was chosen by Bishop Coyner (then bishop of the Dakotas Conference) to attend the FLAME (Faithful Leaders as Mission Evangelists) conference sponsored by the World Methodist Evangelism Institute.
· I enjoy teaching all ages (except the very young) and have been told that this is one of my strengths.
· I am passionate about Christian camping and retreat ministries.
· I am the youngest of four children. My brother Mike lives in Nashville; Mark and his family live in a suburb of Chicago; my sister Beth lives in South Dakota. My Dad, Ken, will celebrate his 91st birthday on April 4th and lives in a nursing facility in LaMoure, ND. My Mom, Dorothy, passed away in February so I am still adjusting to the notion she is gone.
· My wife, Gail and I were married on May 2, 2014. We have no children and one little dog (Cairn Terrier) named Emory.
· I also enjoy writing (mostly poetry), going to movies/plays/concerts, & spending relaxing days with Gail.
· Some of my favorite things are: Gail, Denver Broncos football, golf, Kodiak Island (Alaska), riding motorcycles and the surpassing grace of God.